Thursday, March 12, 2009

Outside Reading Q3

   As we are nearing the end of the novel we are able to see the novel come together and begin to make more sense. Leo flies to Buenos Aires to track down Rema, comes in contact with Harvey and his supposed controller at the Academy, Tzvi Gal-Chen. It becomes even more evident that his difficulty lying puts him in several sticky situations. When Rema calls while he is in Buenos Aires he ends up telling her where he is, putting himself in a pickle. Liebenstein says: “ ‘When Magda cried, I handled that so terribly.’ That was a mistake, to mention Magda by name… ‘When did you talk to my mom?’ she said with a desiccating cornsilky voice. I felt suddenly evaporated and cold, even out there in the sun” (89). As Liebenstien panics and cannot handle lying to Rema on the phone he ends up in a dilemma. He then struggles to keep his identity hidden from Rema’s mother so he can continue his investigation.

   We also learn more about the changing character of Leo Liebenstein. We see one of his character traits that can sometimes lead him into trouble. Liebenstein reflects upon his relationship with Harvey and his feelings towards him. He says: “Of course he also wanted help from me. Harvey asked if he could share my room. He said he was out of cash. Naturally I accommodated; I couldn’t imagine any unpleasant consequences, and, honestly, I felt obliged toward Harvey, as if I had abandoned him, as if it weren’t he who had taken flight , or as if it had been my failures that sent him away” (171). This shows how Liebenstein can attach himself to someone when he feels sorry for them. He especially seems to do this when he feels like he owes them something, as in the case with Harvey. This can be both a positive trait and a negative one for Liebenstein to have. It sometimes causes him to get in to trouble by not being able to say no, but it also is good because it makes him liked by others. It causes us to think about how much sympathy is a good amount, and when does it become bad.

1 comment:

Joe L said...

I agree with the part about lying- I think dishonesty is a major theme in the book since he never gets away with a lie. I think the author is trying to show that dishonesty can never last, and a lie will always discovered. However, his life's love Rema is so willing to be dishonest, and he sees this as a good trait in her. His sumbissive attitude, rather than his honest personality, may be the cause of his trouble.