Thursday, December 11, 2008

Outside Reading Post 3 (Q2)

 During these next pages in A Million Little Pieces we see even greater changes beginning to take place within Frey. We see how he now has a stable group of people he sits and talks with. This is an improvement over his earlier behavior, where he would not be near or open with anyone. Frey writes: “I don’t want any more, but it doesn’t matter. I take bite after bite, I feel worse and worse. Get me something. Fill me. That is all that matters. Fill me” (106). These actions are before Frey begins to interact with other people. This is an important step for Frey on his journey seeking self identity. Later we see how at their lunch table, there is much joking and laughing. Frey notes: “It feels good to laugh” (250).

            As time goes on we read about Frey’s interest in Lilly, a woman received treatment at the facility he is at. It shows us how much he trusts her, as he even spills some of his secrets, and is very open with her. Frey tells his parents: “There are a lot of Rules here. I try to follow most of them, but this Girl, her name is Lilly, has been good for me. She’s cool, she’s smart, she listens to me, I listen to her, we understand each other. We’re different and we come from different places, but in a lot of ways we’re the same. We’re both wrecked, we’re both trying to get better. We both need help and we’re trying to help each other” (288). Frey’s profound words show not only his acceptance of his problems, but his complete change in attitude. From not wanting anyone to help him, to now letting someone into his life, Frey has made an important decision on his journey to recovery. I think that his relationship with Lilly may lead him off his path and he will be faced with a difficult choice to make in the future, that will test his strength and his ethics. 

2 comments:

Narah L. said...

I like how your post shows the importance of having people who care about you in your life. It's really cool that after being a loner for a long time, Frey is finally able to open himself up and let someone help him with his problems.

Hannah D said...

I'm also reading A Million Little Pieces for my outside reading! I found the first quote you used interesting while I was reading. I think it really shows how James is missing something on the inside and uses drugs or, now that he's in rehab, food to "fill" the space. I am also interesting in how things will work out with Lilly. The rules are in place for a reason, but I think Lilly might be able to help James through his addiction. However, it is risky for an addict to be helping an addict. If one of them relapses, what will happen to the other? Both of them are so broken I don't know if they can handle supporting the other. James' relationship with Lilly could either help him to victory or trigger a relapse.