Monday, November 24, 2008

Outside Reading Post 2 (Q2)

The further along I move into the book the more I see James Frey’s unique writing techniques. He often swears which suprisingly adds to the development of his character. I am interested to see if by the end of the book he changes his ways and does not swear as often. Again we see we Frey’s opposition to openly expressing emotions. He is talking to someone whom he refers to as “Old man” at a clinic. Frey writes: “Come here, I’m gonna give you a hug. I stay where I am. I agreed to twenty-four hours. That doesn’t mean I’m hugging you and that doesn’t mean we’re friends. He laughs again, steps forward, puts his arms around me, hugs me. All you got to do is try. I pull away”(109). It furthers the argument, proving to us it is not that he just has something against his parents (from my last post), he does not want a relationship with anyone.

Another character trait of James Frey is revealed to us. He provides insight by saying: “I’ve destroyed, another thing I can’t fix or bring back, another beautiful thing ruined by my carelessness. I don’t stop. I don’t stop destroying and I don’t change my course and I don’t look back. Looking back hurts too much, so I just keep going”(116). Frey’s words show us that he knows the damage he has been causing, he realizes it, he accepts it, and he knows it is real. Hopefully he will come to a point where he sees that it has to stop and he must eventually change his ways, instead of continuing as he does now. I think that this foreshadows a change that will soon take place in James Frey.

3 comments:

Ngoc/Jimmy said...

James Frey's writing technique adds to the voice and characterization of his character. The quote showing his cold hearted personality adds to what he is feeling against his parents. This adds to the trouble that the character feels and can help develop personality in our minds for us. When James Frey talks about the fact that he dislikes looking back into the past, it tells us he is not a person that tries to avoid errors of the past, but just goes on, as if thinking nothing has happened. This can add to the later troubles he might experienced.

gwendolyn said...

I have always pitied characters like these who cannot connect well with other people. I hope that James will be able to get over his cold attitude towards others, and essentially get out of himself. I really believe that it takes a very selfish person to be so self conscious and resistant of other people. If James' excuse was being shy, I would have to say that there are many more layers to his behavior that would cause such "shyness".

mmoettus said...

I think that his swearing is something that also comes from his surroundings and his back round. Not to make a generalization, but because he is in a society filled with drug addicts and addictions, swearing is a very common thing, and is something that is hard to avoid.